Monday, December 9, 2013

Having doubts about your decor? try this simple trick and you'll know

I'm a DIY kind of person, always experimenting. It's no wonder that my previous career was a molecular biologist. Experimenting was what I did every single day in the lab. 
Anyway, I've recently stumbled upon this article about how to pull together an eclectic room. It's not so simple to get it right, because its easy to cross that fine line between whimsical charm to hodge podge.
That is why you need to experiment until you feel it's balanced. 
What if you're not sure, or simply confused? this is when you take out your camera and snap some shots. Take a break from the whole project and then look at the shots. You'll be surprised how much clearer it will be for you to see what's off balance or just "not working" and what's good. 


source


I've been using this trick forever, and it just works! anything that wasn't clear in "live view" becomes much more obvious when you look at the photos. I use this trick at different stages of a project and especially when I photograph a completed project for my website. I take a LOT of shots to get just a few right. 

Why can we see clearly in a photo what we couldn't quite get looking at it "live"? I'm not sure.
Perhaps it's the isolated single angle that makes it obvious to the eye, or the fact that we are not moving around and getting distracted. Well, whatever the reason is, it works! and that is what's important.
Here's a beautiful eclectic room. Contrary to what you might think, even for the pros it can take a lot of experimentation, and "failed" attempts to get to the point where an interior can look almost effortless, like this one below.


Olive Interiors - Home
source
If you wish your home to be a place you'll always love coming back to, but not sure how to create one, contact me at 617-584-9965 vered@veredrosendesign.com and I will help you make it your own.



houzz



1 comment:

  1. My best guess as to why a photograph helps to clarify what's working or not in a design is that once everything is reduced to 2 dimensions it's easier to see the overall lines and shapes that have been created by all the elements. What we see in 3 dimensions may sometimes give our minds a way to be more forgiving about a composition. A good way to immediately test changes to your design composition is to close one eye while viewing it, making it seem more 2 dimensional, as a photograph would. If it looks great in 2 dimensions it will probably look even better in 3.

    ReplyDelete